Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:43:49 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any Linux distros which are not Open Source?

Wes Peters wrote:

> > If it's Linux, it's GPL. If it's GPL, it *must* be open source.
>
> Let's correct that:
>
> If it's GPL, it's *illegal* unless it is open source.
>
> People (and companies) break the law all the time, and usually get away
> with it.

The Linux kernel has an exception written in to allow for system calls.
I also recall that Linus allows closed source loadable modules. In
practice it is very similar to the LGPL. A lot of the closed source
Linux stuff operates on this exception instead of outright violating the
license. I don't know how Rio does things, but it shouldn't be too hard
to use Linux in an embedded environment without having to actually
modify the kernel.

David