Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:39:27 -0800
From:      Bernhard Beck <bbeck@mindmaker.com>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon Thunderbird 700 w. Asus K7M Motherboard vs. FreeBSD 4.2

According to an article published in c't 14/2000, page 32 (online at
http://www.heise.de/ct/00/14/032/default.shtml, use Altavista's
Babelfish to translate), Slot A Thunderbirds do exist. In a nutshell
among other things AMD slightly changed the bus interface design on the
Thunderbirds so that you need chipsets like VIA KT133, KM133 or AMD 760.
But under certain conditions the Thunderbird can also work with a KX133
or the Irongate chipset.
There is a nice table at the end of the article listing a few Slot A
motherboards and if they worked or not with the two sample Slot A
Thunderbirds c't had available in their lab at that time.
Michael's Asus K7M with Irongate chipset is listed as working with the
exact same BIOS version.

However, your milage may vary depending on your CPU. The T-Bird was not
designed to be used in Slot A with any motherboard. AMD apparently made
them only as a concession to their OEMs.

What confuses me, though, is why the CPU works with normal speed in
Windows 2000. Michael, maybe try booting with a SMP kernel (?)

Bernhard