Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:56:27 +0100
From:      Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ktrace sync'ing before panic

Hi everyone,

I had a problem once on a 4.1-stable which does not seem to be fixed by
now. I had mount cause panic under certain circumstances and went to
find the error, first doing ktrace on the call. The result was an empty
ktrace.out as the output was not synchronized/written out do disk before
the actual kernel panic. I went into kern_ktrace.c and inserted a
VOP_FSync call inside ktrwrite and it worked: after the panic, one could
see the last kernel action was a call to mount (into the kernel) - the
first stage of success in debugging.

I believe the issue of syncing is a tradeoff between speed and
reliability in the (rare) case of a panic.

One should consider introducing an option to the ktrace call for this -
if the manpage will be elaborate enough about the issue, even
non-hackers will be able to give more precise error mailings.

Thanks
Thomas Stratmann