Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:29:19 -0800
From:      Jim Allen <jallen@aviating.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello from russia!

As one of the newest newbies, I appreciate all this clarification.  My
impression from reading the FreeBSD site stuff was they had created the
newbie list to take all the questions that newbies have that get asked
over and over and over and over again, kind of like a pre-school, from
which one eventually graduated to the "Big Stuff[tm]" where one could
get answer to big questions.

I have the Complete FreeBSD 3rd Edition and the CD-ROMS, and now, with
many mis-steps, have managed to get the operating system booting on an
older machine to the ? prompt.  Does anybody have any suggestions about
the issues I should take up first as I try to learn about this.  I have
no background in Unix whatsoever.  I am starting from ground zero and
frankly, very little of what I have read makes much sense yet.  I have
fiddled with microprocessors since the 6502 and 8008.  All I have at
present is FreeBSD operating on a machine, the manual, and an intense
desire to "Say Goodbye to Bill".

TIA

Jim Allen