Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:02:52 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        kiguchi@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL and PPPoE question

kiguchi@excite.com wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:20:55 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> >  kiguchi@excite.com wrote:
> >  >
> >  > I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question.
> >  >
> >  > In our company, we want to set up a small network of about 20 PCs.
> ADSL
> >  > seems like a good inexpensive solution, and I understand that FreeBSD
> with
> >  > Netgraph can act like a gateway for our computers.
> >
> >  are they in different places?
>
> No - the same place.
>
> >  Negraph/ppp can act as a gateway for pppoe connections but I am not sure
> >  how that helps you. How do you get the ADSL sessions to terminate on
> >  an ethernet in your office?
> >  (does your ISP provide that service?)
> >
> >  >
> >  > What I don't understand is whether we will have to use IP aliasing
> (NAT) or
> >  > we can have our own routable IP range.
> >
> >  That very much depends on what you think the topology looks like.?
>
> I thought something like this:
>
>            [ISP]
> -----------------
> Office     [ADSL]
>         [FreeBSD Box]
>           |  |  |  |
>           |  |  |  |
>          [A][B][C][D]
>
> where A, B, C, D all have their own routable IPs.   So according to what you
> said, FreeBSD would need to establish a separate PPPoE session for each of
> the computers A, B, C and D, provided the ISP supports multiple PPPoE
> sessions over the single ADSL line?

no that would give 4 connections to the FreeBSD machine, and not 4
connections to the client machines. Does your ISP even use PPPoE?
it is possible to have ADSL without it..

> I need to know if this configuration is possible, so I will know what to ask
> the ISP sales and support people.  So far they haven't been very helpful.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply

what the ISP will try sell you will be:

            +--+--+--+
>           |  |  |  |
>           |  |  |  |
>          [A][B][C][D]

which is quite possible with ethernet attached ADSL modems.

this might even be an ok way for you to go,
but the client machines will be 'vulnerable' on the network to
hackers.

A more common answer is:

             [ISP]
> -----------------
> Office     [ADSL]
>              | <--------ethernet
>         [FreeBSD Box]

where the freebsd box does NAT and the other machines have addresses
assigned in the 10.x.x.x space or 192.168.x.x space.
this gives you some protection of the client boxes.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org