Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:26:17 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

Arun Sharma wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2001 18:56:18 +0100, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> wrote:
> >     Ha.  Right.  Go through any piece of significant code and just see how
> >     much goes flying out the window because the code wants to simply assume
> >     things work.  Then try coding conditionals all the way through to fix
> >     it... and don't forget you need to propogate the error condition back
> >     up the procedure chain too so the original caller knows why it failed.
>
> So, it all comes down to reimplementing the UNIX kernel in a language
> that supports exceptions, just like Linus suggested :)

I've often considered writing a language SPECIFICALLY for writing the kernel.
(no other uses)

I mean it basically uses the same mechaninsims over and over and over again...

linked lists, hash tables, nested loops, etc.etc.

I'd like a language that lets me define the module I'm writing,
define the way it should behave, and let the boring code be taken care of
by itelf :-)

>         -Arun

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org