Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:40:26 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hot swap IDE device?

I believe this would be possible provided that all filesystem(s) associated
with that disk had been explicitly unmounted.

Caveat: if you have an active swap partition you would need to reboot with
said partition commented out in /etc/fstab before you could remove the drive.
Lesson: do not put swap partitions on removeable drives. (-:

Note that a similar issue exists with respect to CDROM-based filesystems.
(Quick check) Yes, what I used to do with CDROMs was create an entry in
/etc/fstab describing the device and its desired mount point; I see that this
is now standard and does not need to be done explicitly.

The target device is marked with the keyword "noauto" so that the OS knows not
to mount it automatically at boot time (read fstab(5) for the details of the
behavior). In this way your installation will be robust and will not halt in
single user when it encounters the missing device.

I'm not sure what would happen when the kernel encountered a different drive
geometry, though, or if it would be able to become aware of it without a
reboot, should you want to use this single bay for multiple devices (as your
question suggests).

-- richard

Christopher Farley wrote:

> Is there any way to get FreeBSD to add/remove an IDE device from a
> running system?
>
> I'm experimenting with a $15 removable IDE hard drive kit. I would
> ideally like to be able to power down the drive, remove it, insert
> a new drive (possibly a different manufacturer/capacity), power it
> up, and force FreeBSD to recognize the new IDE device.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> I assume I can swap identical drive models endlessly, and FreeBSD would
> be none the wiser. However, two years down the road, it will be impossible
> to replace a broken drive with the identical model.
>
> --
> Christopher Farley
> www.northernbrewer.com

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA