Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:44:31 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        PicoBSD List <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hardware??

Hi, I have set up my own customized PicoBSD VPN routers with all the
bells and whistles that I need. What I am having problems with is the
hardware side. I am desperately waiting for someone to deliver boards
that he had announced late last year, but there seem to be problems.
Meanwhile my project comes up to deadlines and I have a hard time
waiting. I need a small size low power (simple wall AC adapter) box
that essentially contains 2 (better 3) ethernet interfaces and a
sio for console, I don't want any of this video and keyboard and
sound gimmick that I can't use, that only drives up the price and
power consumption. I cannot find anything like it in the whole world
so it seems. You're happy to have one built-in ethernet, one vendor
left with two, and complete loss with three. The other problem, nowhere
can you opt in for ethernet *and* opt out of VGA.

Does anyone know anything better? I would especially appreciate to
be directed to a specific product, I know that there are certain
vendors and web sites that come close, but having looked at all this
I cannot find anything that really fits.

I appreciate any help.

-Gunther

PS: we seem to be a little disadvantaged with FreeBSD not running on
MIPS and ARM architectures, 'cause there are lot more extremely small
low power boards out there for ARM. But I'm holding on to FreeBSD if
I only could finally get 5 to 30 useful boards into my possession.

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org
Medical Information Scientist                  http://aurora.regenstrief.org