Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:12:35 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-backed md-based /tmp to replace mfs-based one

David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:11:09 -0800
> >From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> >To: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
>
> >We really need to provide a better rc.conf hook for doing this --
> >expecting people to write their own script just to create a /tmp is
> >lame.
>
> I appreciate the validation that what I'm trying to do makes sense (at
> least to some folks).  And I appreciate Hajimu Umemoto's contribution,
> since I hadn't been aware of the "diskless_mount" specification.
>
> But basically, I agree with the sentiment re: making it easier.
>
> I would be very pleased if it were made as easy as the use of an
> mfs-based /tmp (merely specify "filesystem type" as "mfs"), but my
> (very!) brief acquaintance with the semantics of the md device gives me
> the impression that the exact approach is unlikely to be useful.

A while ago someone suggested a /etc/md.conf and an mdon(1) similar to
swapon(1). The md.conf file would contain a simple table indicating what
manner of md devices needs to be created, including fs type and a flag
indicating if it needs to be newfs'ed (as well as newfs parameters, one
assumes), and the mdon(1) would scan fstab and mount any filesystems on
/dev/md*.

This solution is much more flexible than simple /tmp fs on md devices,
seems more appropriate (and scalable) than poluting rc.conf(5) with a
host of new options, and avoids the mount_mdfs criticism leveled by phk
that md is not an fs (which is true enough).

It doesn't look even much difficult to implement either. I bet the most
annoying part would be writing md.conf(5).

Moreover, this solution seemed, at the time, to please all involved in
the discussion. Only none of them went out and implemented it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	It's a rewarding life, but hey, somebody has to have all the fun,
right?