Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:34:27 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building?

I have built kernels a number of times, but for the first time I'm
trying to use FreeBSD-STABLE rather than just chaning options on the
RELEASE kernel.

Following the directions in the handbook and /usr/src/UPDATING, I
installed the cvsupit package and got the sources, then cd'ed to
/usr/src.  I edited the kernel conf files for BTS (the kernel name I
use) to add DIAGNOSTIC, DDB, and build with -g.  (I'm having problems
with frequent crashes, which is why I'm upgrading to STABLE in the first
place.)

Then in a temporary mental glitch, I did a

	make buildkernel KERNEL=BTS

almost immediately I realized that this was a mistake and ^C'ed it, but
this might be what's causing my trouble.

I then did a

	make buildworld

and it ran for a good long while and failed like this:

cc -O -pipe -Wall -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libdisk/../../sbin/disklabel/dkcksum.c -o dkcksum.o
/usr/src/lib/libdisk/../../sbin/disklabel/dkcksum.c:47: redefinition of
`dkcksum'
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include/sys/disklabel.h:188: `dkcksum'
previously defined here
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libdisk.
*** Error code 1