Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:14:26 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Babbleon the idiot / status (was: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on  4.2-RELEASE?)
References:  <3AAC4C03.13000DE@babbleon.org> <3AAC4E83.2C281B90@babbleon.org> <20010312174852.T20830@speedy.gsinet> <3AAF06E8.103042C6@babbleon.org> <15023.44543.137285.702518@nomad.yogotech.com> <3AB036DB.3CE7E3C3@babbleon.org> <15025.897.571649.16251@nomad.yogotech.com> <3AB11C3B.7578E134@babbleon.org> <15025.7561.937102.558775@nomad.yogotech.com> <3AB12177.6DA79EF1@babbleon.org> <15025.8842.184792.656585@nomad.yogotech.com>

NON-TECHNICAL STUFF:

Ok, first, let me say that most of y'all have the patience of saints. I
was getting out of line with the tone of my posts, and WAY out of line
with the volume.  I posted a straightforward "is this normal" question;
the answer was no.  That should have been that.

One poster took a tone that I found condesending and I started lashing
out at everybody.  I'm not sure if my interpretation of his posts as
condesending was fair to him in the first place, though I find few
things quite as annoying as telling somebody that something's wrong and
hearing "no, it's fine."  But it was CERTAINLY unfair to everybody else.

I came across as an idiot who was unwilling to learn anything new, and a
pro-Linux advocate.
I like to think that I'm neither; indeed, I like almost everything else
about FreeBSD better, but the area of PCMCIA/network support has given
me trouble.  I actually ran FreeBSD back in 1996ish but switched to
Linux because of the (at the time unquestionably) superior (as in,
extant) PCMCIA support.  I expected to have some trouble with this area
and that probably colored the way I've seen it.

This also makes me an A-1 hypocrite since a major reason I wanted to
switch was that I was finding modern Linux distributions (like Mandrake)
too automatic.  Indeed, with FreeBSD I was able to fairly easily get
Windows machines to print via Samba to my printer, a task which had
eluded me for months under Linux.  The reason I could do that under
FreeBSD is because I controlled all the scripts & parameters so I could
figure out where the process was breaking down and fix it.

Yet here I am complaining over much the same thing w/r/t PCMCIA.
Sheesh.

Finally, another confession:  I didn't actually use *this* network card
under Linux.
Thus, my comments about relative stability are bogus anyway; maybe the
card is problematic for any operating system, for all the more I know.

I got this card (3com 3c589D) specifically for FreeBSD after giving up
on getting my Linux card working under FreeBSD at all (see J. Rodrigo
Refandez M.'s post of 22 January 2001 in this list if you are interested
in the details of *that*).

I'm using the same card in my other machine, for much the same reason--I
was never able to get things properly configured with the exact same
cards I used under Linux and this card "seemed" to work better under
FreeBSD (and was recommended to me by Brian Dean, my local FreeBSD
guru).

My guess is that the double-file-loss on crash was coincidence and/or a
korganizer bug (it perhaps re-writes the config file every time it
starts up, though why it should do such a thing eludes me).  I'm not
really interested in investigating that one unless it happens again.
Three times starts to stetch my ability to explain away things as
coincidence.

Anyway, I apologize and I hope I can sort of "start over" on the right
foot.

TECHNICAL STUFF:
I'm in the process of upgrading my kernel to -STABLE from -RELEASE,
building in debugging, diagnostic, and ddb code, and double-checking my
IRQs.  I'm having trouble getting the STABLE kernel built, which
certainly argues in favor of the thesis that I no longer have any
functioning brain cells.  However, I'm bugging the poor folks on the
freebsd-stable list about that so most of you can take a break in that
regard.  If I get any information from the kernel debugging I've
enabled, I'll post the information back here.

IRQ:
Guess what!  Sure enough, it looks like I have two IRQ conflicts after
all.  I really *thought* I'd checked this long ago, but I guess I
checked these on my other computer and not on this one . . . and one of
the conflicts is with the PCMCIA card, sho' nuff.  I could swear that
I'd checked this long ago, but I now suspect that I'd checked it only on
my *other* computer.  In practice, I hadn't had any trouble with the
3com card on this computer.  The crashes I've had on this computer have
involved changes to the bridges and firewall code.  Changes which I
never even thought to connect with the PCMCIA itself until this thread
started.

They are with devices I never use, but perhaps they generate interrupts
sometimes anyway.

IRQ 3:  Used by sio1 and the ep0 PCMCIA card.  This one might explain a
lot.
IRQ 5:  Used by the USB controller and the sound card.

I don't ever use USB devices, and I don't even have usb support built
into the kernel. Is this a potential problem anyway, or is it harmless?

As for IRQ 3, I've now set up pccard.conf to use IRQ 9 (which is unused)
and we'll see what that does for the state of my system.

BUT:
Still, when all is said & done I find it odd that changing
bridge/firewall settting might possibly crash the computer, even if the
hardware ethernet settings are silly, when this never happens without
bridging or firewalling set.  I mean, I'll change it in the hopes that
things will be better, but does it make sense as a possible explanation?

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org