Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:15:24 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Troy Corbin <troyc@titan.communitech.net>
Cc:        reichert@numachi.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on BookPC

Troy Corbin wrote:

> Brian-
>
> On a cheapo spending spree, I bought 4 of the BookPC's and threw 4.2 on
> them. After disabling the modem, soundcard, etc in the BIOS, the only BAD
> thing ive experienced with them is occassional high latency to my gateway.
> Usually a reboot fixes this... Lately ive blamed it on the off-brand
> onboard NIC, but havent had time to dive into the problem deeper.
>
> Oh well, still a decent cheap solution.

If you're talking about the "PCwave" BookPC, you can do much better for
about the same money.  The FIC "Safari Premium" is about the same size,
but much more reliable hardware.  We've had about 50% failure rate on
the onboard NIC on the PCWave devices (of 20 units) and only 1 failure
on 55 Safaris.  Both are Socket-7 and seem to be very happy with 500/550
MHz K6-2s.  Most of ours are headless, so we set the VGA shared memory
size to minimum and disable the audio chips, but we run Windows (for
testing) on several of them and they seem to function as well as any
computer can running Windows.

We have another Socket-370 box at work also, I'll see if I can dig up the
information on it when I get to the office.  It's a really nice box, very
sturdy.  We use one of them as a server, running FreeBSD -stable on a
PIII/733.