Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:45:07 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>, David O'Brien <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "litos2001@libero.it" <litos2001@libero.it>
Subject:   Re: Startup scripts a la NetBSD

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, David Xu wrote:
>
> > In the past, I saw lots of people refused to see rc.d style in
> > FreeBSD, include some guys in core team, at that time, I'm very
> > disappointed, why is it back again? is this just because of NetBSD?
>
> Because sysv-style init scripts actually make sense for both admins and
> installed packages? It's not traditionally BSD, but unfortunately programs
> are much more complex today, generally with multiple daemons and
> interdependencies for starting up properly.  A vendor-supplied script
> makes sure everything is set up to start the daemons/packages correctly,
> and gives a nice start/stop knob for the admin to control it with.

No, it doesn't.  Vendor-supplied scripts ala SysV have little chance of
getting any level of interdependency right, this is one of the reasons
FreeBSD developers have refused to take the SysV approach.

Must discussion has ensued over how to actually solve this problem, instead
of leaving it to the system administrator to magically conjure up what the
dependencies are then hack in the correct order of Sxxx and Kxxx BS to make
it work.  If you have a solution, we're ready to see and test it.

> For the record, I hacked up this pile of scripts to emulate one runlevel,
> along with a linux-style chkconfig(8) script.  You just have to call the
> start-rc3.sh script at some point in the boot, and stop-rc3.sh when
> shutting down. Since we have rc.shutdown.d you don't have to edit
> rc.shutdown anymore.  If you really want Linnex-style /etc/rc.d/init.d/
> and friends, this will give it to you.

Ports do this, of course, by creating scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, and get called with both 'start' and 'stop' arguments.
If you have a way of REALLY creating a dependency tree, please let us know.