Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:48:32 -0700
From:      Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IBM ACP modem driver

   A couple of months ago IBM released the source to their linux modem
driver for the thinkpad 600 & 600E:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/linux/projects/mwave/

The modem is a controllerless DSP - there is a userspace daemon
the acts as the controller and communicates with the DSP via
a dynamically loaded device driver. The DSP also emulates a serial
chip which allows a standard serial-line driver to be used.

   I have ported the driver to freebsd 4.1.1 on a thinkpad 600E.
The daemon just required a few mods to basically get it to compile;
the kernel module needed a fairly major overhaul, as you might imagine.
It seems to work ok with tip as a simple dialup serial line; I
haven't tried dialup IP.

   I was wondering what the best way to make it available to
other freebsd users was. I emailed IBM about hosting it but they
haven't replied. I think it would take quite a bit of clean-up
to include it in the standard kernel, and I don't have -current
anyway. I'd be willing to make it into a separate package though.

   Any suggestions?

Simon