Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:29:31 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Subject:   problem with plip stealing clock

While using my main workstation as a local FTP for my laptop over plip,
I noticed that FreeBSD was losing track of time at a prodigious rate.
Over about five hours of downloading to my laptop, my main workstation
lost close to 3.5 hours of time off its clock.  During pulses of IO, the
mouse also becomes very sluggish under X.  I'd expect some slowdown
because FreeBSD doesn't appear to use the DMA channel, but I never
expected to see the affect on the clock--e.g., this message will say
about 8:30 when the real time here is more like 12:00.  Sounds like a
bug to me . . .

Any thoughts on how to work around/solve this?

jmc