Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 16:31:29 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH Must Die

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> Exactly how is rpping it out of FreeBSD supposed to make ssh work?

I don't necessarily want it to work or not work, I just
want it to quit being a pain in my backside.

If it can't be made to upgrade correctly, then ripping it
out also satisfies the criteria necessary to achieve the
intended goal.

> I think I had similar problems at some point between 4.2-R
> and 4.3-R.  At some (fairly late IIRC) point inbetween the
> version numbers of some of the crypto libraries was increased.
> After a buildworld I had both libXXXX.so.1 and libXXXX.so.2
> installed in /usr/lib.  I think deleting/moving one of them
> (the .so.1 one IIRC) and then doing a new build/installworld
> with 'COMPAT4X=yes' in /etc/make.conf made things work
> correctly.  I am afraid I don't remember the details exactly
> but it might be a starting point.

Yes, I see multiple installed copies of the libraries
on my system.  Since this is a cDROM from a "make release",
I expected to see that for compatability reasons.

Are you saying that if I install the new "compat4" stuff
from the 4.3 CDROM, the problem will solve itself?  I am
willing to try that, but won't be able to tell you what
happened until Monday.

Thanks,
-- Terry