Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:22:38 -0600
From:      John.Hubbard@Gunter.AF.mil
To:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: 3.4 and SMP

  I got this same problem.  In fact, I haven't ever gotten SMP working
completely properly
on my machine (which is exactly the same).  First, move your NIC into the
first PCI slot,
because none of the other slots work if you enable SMP (nobody on the list
has been able
to tell me why).  Then make sure you have this line in your kernel config:

options		"MAXMEM=(1024*256)"	# Replace 256 with however many MB
of RAM you have

  Then, under the SMP section, make it look like this:

options		SMP
options		APIC_IO
options		NCPU=2
options		NBUS=3
options		NAPIC=1
options		NINTR=49

  Using this configuration, my machine boots and runs fine with SMP, it just
won't see PCI cards
in any slot but the first.   I don't have a RAID controller in it yet, so
this is okay, but I am a little
disappointed in the lack of response I've gotten from the list, this is
obviously a code problem
relating to the 450NX chipset.
  As a final note, before you re-install, use the SmartStart CD to reset the
whole machine, then
select "Unixware 7" as your OS and choose to do a manual install.  I've also
gotten SMP working
using "NT 4", but you have fewer interrupts available.  Let me know how this
works.