Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:03:28 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, bsddiy@163.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> in fact, the require keyword isn't sufficient in it's own. there
> should be pre_require and post_require keywords since nfsd needs to
> start mountd before to start nfsd then rpc.statd and rpc.lockd have to
> be started after nfsd.

	Cyrille has already made two excellent points, gold stars for him. :)
Before anyone gets too far down the road of making a direct port of the
netbsd rc system please be advised that there have already been some
discussions about exactly how we want to proceed. There are three factors
that need to be addressed. First, there are some weaknesses in netbsd's
system that we don't want to replicate. Second, Eivind has already done
some excellent work in this area. Take a look at
http://people.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.html for more info. Third, we want
to gather the people who are interested in working on this project on a
mailing list and have some conversations with the netbsd developers about
what they would do differently if given the chance. We've already got Luke
Mewburn on board for this, but his time is limited until after his
presentation at USENIX on this topic is done.

	So, I'm glad that you're enthusiastic about this, and we definitely want
to harness that enthusiasm. What I'd hate to see is you (pl.) putting a lot
of work into something that we ultimately do not use. We have a really neat
opportunity here to synergize something that will take advantage both of
the hard work and experience of the netbsd team, and our own unique
abilities and experience. I would hate to see that opportunity wasted.

Doug
--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough.