Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:30:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Robert Withrow wrote:

> clefevre-lists@noos.fr said:
> :- oops, rc2 isn't started. too bad.
>
> I think that is exactly the desired design.  The
> RC *system* starts things correctly, but the manager,
> *bypassing* the RC *system* can start and stop things
> exactly as he wished.  For debugging or whatever.
>
> I'd argue that if you want to start/stop a *subtree*, you
> should ask the RC *system* to do that somehow.

Run levels or run states?

It would be damned useful, for every embedded system I've
ever used FreeBSD for (four now, but who's counting?) to
be able to say:

o	Start _all_ the standard FreeBSD stuff, I'm using
	this thing as my developement workstation.

o	Start _only_ the FreeBSD stuff I'm going to be
	shipping, so that I know what will and won't be
	in the target environment actually works.

o	Start the FreeBSD stuff I'm going to be shipping,
	_and_ start the locally developemed stuff I'm
	going to be shipping, since I'm either shipping
	or doing a full regression test.

Right now, this is about as impossible as building a
distribution which can install correctly from a CDROM,
but is built from a kernel config other than GENERIC.

-- Terry