Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:31:42 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Details on project status

Alexander Langer wrote:

> Thus spake Antoine Beaupre (LMC) (Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca):
>
>>I would like to get a better description at the issues at hand though:
>>- What is the problem with the make(1) build?
>
> Well, at the moment it's just a hack:
>
> - If you ran it with NO_QT for the first time, you have to "make
>   clean" the whole tree before actually a compile without this
>   options works.  Same for TVision.
>   So if we want to build three versions of the libs later (both,
>   Qt only, TVision only) we need three steps.
>   I'd prefer the following at the moment:
>     - build creates a new directory as the old kernel compile did
>       it: compile/{text,graphics,graphics+text} maybe.
>     - all .o files are placed in this directories with a correct
>       Makefile, i.e. with the NO_* options set accordingly.
>     - the libs are also placed in this directory
>     - both, a statically linked bin/tclh and a dynamically
>       linked tclh are placed in this directory.
>   Currently, I prefer this scheme because it's easier to
>   develop it :-) (well, you don't have to search for the
>   libs in /usr/obj if you want to test stuff w/o installing them)
>   Later, I'd like to see libh use /usr/obj as every other part
>   of the system, which is the most clean solution (imho).
>   in /usr/obj, there will be three subdirs as well unter libh
>   (text, graphics, text+graphics again .-)

>   Since implementing the first method for only a temporary amount of
>   time is useless, I prefer /usr/obj as a goal.  If anyone disagrees
>   here, please tell me.

This sounds good.

>   Depending on the final solution how this is implemented, I want
>   the NO_QT and NO_TVISION knobs be tweaks to decide if the
>   text,graphics,text+graphics versions are build in /usr/obj.

Ok. I don't think I could help very much here. This requires massive
compilations, and I don't have a really good beast for that.

Unless someone would gratuously give me a box better than a pentium 166
with 32Mb of ram. :)

> - the lib/tcl subdir is not good.  It depends on the other libs
>   but won't get recompiled automatically if you changed anything
>   in the other directories' *.cd.cc files (actually, that are the only
>   files of interest for the tcl libs).

Hmm... This is a dark spot for me. I know C well. I know TCL a bit. But
both at the same time? Eek. :)

>>- What exactly are the installation scripts supposed to be? TCL/libh
>>scripts to perform standard fbsd install procedures?
>
> Yes.

This is where it gets interesting. I haven't been able to get libh to
compile yet. My workstation is also my "family machine" which gets
(over) used by my roomates for evil purposes (read: msn and hotmail on
windows since unix web browsers suck :).

So in short, recompiling is always "interrupted" to say the least. I am
in the process of finding a decent browser for unix and compiling some
jabber client to make my "family" happy with FreeBSD. ;)

More seriously, I took a look at the code and I like it. The idea of
having the dual/independant text/graphics mode is really attractive and
creating UIs seems to be pretty straightforward.

As soon as I get libh examples running, I'll start to code.

Unfortunatly, I'll go on vacation this week-end, so don't expect me to
produce anything until next week.

What's more, I work full time here, so I don't have a lot of time on my
hands.

>>I am interested in the freebsd install process and general configuration
>>structure...
>
> see libh/release/scripts/ :)

That's good. libh is much more advanced than I thought.

>>I personnally think that the main distribution should move to a more
>>package-like system where files installed would get indexed...
>
> I agree.

<aaaaaaah....> first time I see a glitch of interest in that by
*anyone*. This is good. :)

>>The 250+ bin.xx files have made their time.
>
> Since people are still doing floppy-installs, the package-like system
> still has to fit into this scheme.

Oh, I totally agree with that. Even if I don't believe a single soul did
a floppy install in the last year, we have to keep it as a possibility.

> However, it should be no problem to split system-packages up into .xx
> files and place these onto the floppies.

And anyways, there's always a size limit on the media. We have to keep that in mind.

>>- changing the make release process (eek!)
>
> eek! :-)

Actually, I thought a bit more about that, and well... Doesn't the
release process actually installs files in a temporary directory and
then just package that?

It shouldn't be too hard to hack into that...

>>- me moving from -stable to -current on my workstation (eek! :)
>
> I have a semi-working current again since yesterday :-)

I have been following the -current mailing list for a while now, and I
think -current is not for me. I can't afford that on my family machine. ;)

It should be possible to hack on libh on -stable anyways (?).

>>Anyways, I unfortunatly don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I
>>could start working on this on my spare time...
>
> Just let's make sure we don't duplicate work.

Don't worry about that for now. :)I'm just one curious geek. I'll tell
you when I'll start coding, and on what. :)

> Alex

A.

--
Antoine Beaupré