Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:00:43 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound driver changes between 4.2 and 4.3

Hi -hackers,

Several people have made it known to me that games such as Quake2
which ran fine with sound under the 4.2 kernel are not able to have
sound in 4.3.  I have verified this myself - with quake2 under 4.3
ktrace reports that opening /dev/dsp fails with EBUSY - even though
nothing is using /dev/dsp and other programs are able to open it and
play sound just fine immediately afterwards.  Under 4.2 on the same
machine, open()ing /dev/dsp is successful and sound functions.
Figuring out what's going wrong is further complicated by the fact
that these are linux binaries and run under the linux emulator.  Could
it be the linux emulator messing something up, and not the sound card?

Since this is an issue of the userland's interface to the sound driver
and is not concerned with sound driver internals or driving a specific
card (since this problem occurs regardless of sound card), I thought I
might try and see if could fix the problem.  I've not done any kernel
programming before, but I'd like to get my feet wet and this seems
like a relatively small project.  Any pointers as to where to start?
Anybody else run into similar problems and try to see what is going
wrong?

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>