Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:34:54 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and suspend-to-disk

Nick Sayer wrote:

> Ben Lovett wrote:
>

> >I've already created the space needed for the partition (around 250MB),
> >by running fips on the fat32 partition.  But, I would like to know what
> >application I need to get that new partition "ready" for suspend to
> >disk.. Or do I just need to assign it a certain partition id?
> >

> Leave the space unpartitioned and run 'phdisk /create /partition' after
> booting your windows partition to DOS.

If you were starting from scratch, I'd recommend setting up the phdisk
partition before you install FreeBSD, so it can use whatever phdisk
leaves behind.  An alternative is to leave more than it needs as unused
disk space, then run phdisk, then use Partition Magic or fips to reclaim
the leftover unused space.

I don't think your phdisk partition will need to be twice the size of your
memory (I think you mentioned that in a previous posting).  I think it
only needs to be the size of your ram plus a few megabytes of overhead.
E.G. on my system I have 196 MB of RAM, my phdisk partition is 206 MB.

> ** WARNING **
>
> On my old Insperon 3500, when the suspend-to-disk partition was placed
> beyond 2G, bits of the disk would be trashed on suspend-to-disk! Maybe
> they've fixed this, maybe they haven't. :-) Since Dells generally don't
> come with a suspend-to-disk partition (they use a suspend file instead,
> but that only works under DOS), it's probably unsupported to use the
> partition (the option is there because they got it from Phoenix, their
> BIOS supplier).

I've been using a suspend-to-disk partition for about a year in my
Inspiron 7500, and haven't had any problems.  It's suspend-to-ram that
is unreliable (in Windows and in FreeBSD, and it seems to work better
in FreeBSD).  Suspend-to-disk mostly works fine with Windows 98 also,
except that it is likely to get confused if it wakes up with a different
hardware configuration than it went to sleep with.

A vague description of how I set up my system is at
http://www.afn.org/~afn01750/inspiron.html
It might provide you with some useful clues.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
> >
> >-ben

If you need more specific information about my Inspiron 7500 set up than
I have on the web page listed above, let me know.

- Bob