Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:16:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Bill Moran wrote:
> > If you pick "default installation" or "full installation", it
> > _should_ try to be smart; if you pick "custom installation",
> > you chould have to babysit it like you do today.
> >
> > In the "default" case, it should attempt to obtain a DHCP lease,
> > and, failing that, ask the user to give it settings, or let
> > them do IPv4 stateless autoconfiguration.  Ad Hoc networking
> > should always "just work".
>
> If anyone is taking a vote, I disagree. I do not want any system
> ever assuming anything about my network. Even Win checks with the
> user before enabling DHCP.

FYI: The networking bootstrap process I described above
is derived from the process used by Windows 98 and above,
as it comes configured by default on systems with integral
network cards.  The "link.local" draft RFC for doing the
IPv4 stateless autoconfiguration was coauthored by a
Microsoft employee.

See the IETF "ZEROCONF" working group for more details:
this stuff is going to be part of the standards soon.

-- Terry