Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:31:51 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
Cc:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding hw.ata.wc="1"......

Jason DiCioccio wrote:

> I was disappointed by this decision as well.. The performance loss is
> substantial, but if there is a big risk I think perhaps it should be
> prompted in sysinstall at least?  Of course if you have an IBM DTLA drive
> you can do this safely with tagging.

I think the problem was that FreeBSD started getting killed in various
benchmarks.  Suddenly we have a filesystem that writes slower than
Solaris and that slows down the entire box.  Also, as a desktop OS
many people noticed that their FreeBSD boxes were writing much slower
than even the Windows NT boxes.  It was really painful.

Finally, the people who really need the sort of protection that sync
writes gives are the kind who will know to turn off the write cache.

A sysinstall prompt would be nice though.  An even nicer option
would be a little menu on the diskLabel part of the install that
asks what options you want to enable on the filesystem when you
create it (softupdates, etc...).

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer