Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:32:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Removing support for TurboChannel machines from -current

Mike Smith wrote:
> > Let's not chase away someone who might take you up on your
> > offer in the future by deleting the existing code today.
>
> I disagree here.  I'd much rather chase these hypothetical individuals
> away, or at least offer them a more useful and relevant alternative.

The reductio ad absurdum of your argument is obvious:

	"So how about we do away with the x86 code, and let
	 them use Linux or Windows 2000, since there's more
	 software available for either of them?"

> > What does diking out the code buy you, apart from less code
> > in a checked out source tree, a bigger Attic, and a large
> > CVSsup/CTM delta for everyone to have to swallow?
>
> It takes away the "moral high ground" perceived by persons such as
> yourself to perpetuate support for, or argue against changes which
> prejudice, obsolete, unused and irrelevant hardware.

You mean like when Garret Wollman changed the routing code,
and didn't update the X.25 code or the ISODE code, and so
broke both of them?

Or you mean like the Adaptec 1540/1542/1740/1742 were orphaned
for a long time, after the "CAM of Worms".

I view this as a maintenance issue.

This is really a wierd conversation to be having on the -alpha
list, considering the Alpha is all but dead itself, now that
Compaq has rolled over for Intel -- it is the epitomy, now, of
"obsolete, unused and irrelevant hardware".

> We don't support the TC machines.  It's foolish to pretend
> otherwise, and simply makes for distractions at various levels.
> The code should go.

The code is not used unless it's optioned in; why dike out
something which is harmless?  I don't see you getting a "moral
high ground" out of the act, I just see you attacking the size
of the potential user base for FreeBSD.

-- Terry