Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:39:41 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Telnet

Martin Schweizer wrote:

> Hello Jason
>
> >===== Original Message From Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org> =====
> >> I would connect to my shell machine at otaku.freeshell.org. If I use telnet
> >> from Win9x/WinNT/Win2k I've no problem to access. If I use telnet from
> >> FreeBSD4.3 I can't correct steering my shell (some keys won't functions). I
> >> changed also the TERM variable to vt100 without success (in this case the
> >> command line from FreeBSD ist verry strange). What I doing wrong?
> >> Thank you in advance.
>
> >How are you using telnet from the FreeBSD machine?  Are you on the
> >console
> ... at the console
>
> >or are you in an xterm?
> ... no, perhaps later
>
> The PC Console isn't a very good VT100
> >emulator,
> >you need to use a mode like "pc-cons" or "pc-ansi" or "ansi" or "cons25"
> >or "pccons" or whatever the remote system actually has for PC consoles.
> In default FreeBSD uses cons25. If I use TERM=vt100 then I can not use all
> keys and the screen has some strange caracters.
>
> >XTerms in general are halfway decent VT100 emulators, but using "xterm"
> >is even better.
> I will test it.
>
> >Windows telnet is a terrible emulator, but if you consider it to work
> >with
> >"no problems" as a vt100 terminal, then you should have no problem
> >getting
> >equivelent functionality out of FreeBSD with the right term variable.
> Which is your prefered TERM variable for telnet access?

Unfortunatly it takes a bit of experimentation if the remote system is
not
FreeBSD based.

If it is a FreeBSD system, try setting TERM to whatever the local
terminal
is set for (assuming all of the keys work on the local terminal).

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer