Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:01:04 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        "Joel M. Fulton" <jfulton@e3tech.net>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

Well Joel,

I decided on Freebsd based on the best hardware support of the bsd's.
Things like parallel zip drive support are useful to me.  Openbsd was
one of the nicest, cleanest installs, once you figure out how to use the
OS, but freebsd has these little extras that are useful to me.

I've installed Debian, but haven't used it extensively.  I liked it for
a linux, and apt has a good reputation as a package system.  BSD ports
system is very nice though.  My favorite Linux is Slackware.  But I've
become biased toward BSD-style init systems.  For a home computer,
especially a workstation, leaving out all the complexity of the Sys-V
runlevels is nice.  I'm not as rabidly against Sys-V init as some in the
BSD camps, but I generally prefer the BSD one.

Other than that, I like the Debian distribution's conservative
approach.  That's not as good if you like living on the "cutting edge",
though.

That reminds me of one other thing I appreciate about FreeBSD.  The
different stable branches that are maintained.  You mentioned stability
as important - well, I think that FreeBSD has one of the best systems
for easily maintaining a stable, but up-to-date platform in the free-OS
world right now.

my two cents,

Brian Raynes