Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:24:25 +0200
From:      Hans de Hartog <j.dehartog@chello.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto install apache+mod_ssl+mod_php4 ?

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I picked up a funny with this combination which might be the same problem
> you are having.
>
> When mod_ssl is installed it add its LoadModule directive inside a
> conditional block in httpd.conf so that you can do and 'apachectl start' or
> 'apachectl startssl' to start with or without SSL support.  That's fine.
>
> The problem is that after that the PHP4 installation tries to add its
> LoadModule directive after the last one found in the httpd.conf file, and so
> the PHP4 module will only load conditionally (IF you do an 'apachectl
> startssl').  What's even worse is that when you do an 'apachectl restart'
> (which is what the 'make install' for apache and PHP4 attempt to do) the
> LoadModule for PHP4 is never loaded.
>
> So, in summary, edit your /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf file as follows:
> You will find something like this:
> <IfDefine SSL>
> LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
> LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
> </IfDefine>
> Change it like so:
> <IfDefine SSL>
> LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
> </IfDefine>
> LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
>
> And, similarly:
> <IfDefine SSL>
> AddModule mod_ssl.c
> AddModule mod_php4.c
> </IfDefine>
> should be:
> <IfDefine SSL>
> AddModule mod_ssl.c
> </IfDefine>
> AddModule mod_php4.c
>
> Hope this is what you need.
>
> Patrick.

Sounds reasonable and I made that change. However,
installing mod_php4 also installs the vanilla
apache over the already existing apache+mod_ssl
(beause the built-in dependency on apache-1.3.20)
thereby not only modifying/destroying hhtpd.conf
but lots of other files (including httpd itself).

Starting apache then gives:
Syntax error on line 208 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
API module structure `define_module' in file
/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_define.so is garbled - perhaps this is not an
Apache module DSO?

That's probably because all the modules that come
with apache+mod_ssl are overwritten by the versions
from the vanilla apache.

I guess there must be somebody out there that has
apache + ssl + php4 working on FreeBSD 4.4????
And what was the exact sequence of installations
of which versions? And was that straight from
pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.4-release
or did you build from the ports directory (and
with what additional flags/tricks)???

Thanks for your efforts,
Hans de Hartog.