Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:42:39 +0200
From:      Joachim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SIGPFE problems on Athlon processors running 4.3-STABLE

Aloha!

Chad R. Larson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:51:12PM +0200, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
>
>>Finally, gnupg also have problems.  It simply never quits waiting for
>>entropy during key generation.  I try to use the smallest key size,
>>but gnupg locks up even though I use the machine and the keyboard for
>>hours.
>>

> I had that problem when using /dev/urandom as a file during openssl
> rsa key generation.  Seems openssl reads to end-of-file on the paths
> you give it as sources of randomness (they suggest large compressed
> data files).  But /dev/urandom never returns EOF, just increasingly
> non-random bytes.
>
> Changing to /dev/random fixed that.
>
> How are you collecting entropy during your key generation?

This might sound stupid, but I actually don't know. What I did was to do a
"make install PREFIX=/usr/opt" in the /usr/ports/security/gnupg directory to
add the port to our system.

After completion, I simply tried to use the tool to generate key. "gpg
--gen-key" I belive it is (not at the job right now). I tried big and small
sizes of the key and the all hanged after informing me that there wasn't
enough entropy and that I needed to work with the keyboard to generate some more.

So, this might be an answer to at least the gnupg problem. How do I
instruct/make gpg select /dev/random instead?

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson