Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:51:26 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Am I forced to install Xfree86?

Speaking of the devil here.. (see below)

Can someone please tell me *why* installing the port of a simple
command-line ping utility (mtr, otherwise known as Matt's traceroute)
requires retrieving 30MB of Xfree86 files, compiling and installing,
on a machine that doesn't run X?  It seems to have something to do
with "gmake", which is a dependency of mtr.

Am I really *that* insane wanting to build BSD boxes without X, when
simple command-line utilities like that force me to install all that
stuff anyway?

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium