Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 06:55:16 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Yung-Sheng Tang <freebsd@hoolan.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP checksum error after encapsulating multicast packet

Yung-Sheng Tang wrote:

> I am setting up a multicast router. Recompiling kernel with MROUTING
> option and enabling mrouted are done. Basically, my multicast AP runs
> well, but if that AP and mrouted run on the same machine, forwarded
> packets would get udp checksum error. Here is the result from tcpdump:

[ ... ]

> Did I make some mistake? Thank you for your attention.

I have noticed a number of bad checksum instances, as well, in
particular in the piggy-back ACK implementation of a former
coworker, but did not track them down.

It seems to me that this is the "one's complement" problem that
the incremental checksum modification RFC update refers to, but
I could be mistaken.

I don't think that code is incredibly exercised in FreeBSD.

On the other hand, you should also examine the packet in
from the other machine, as the checksum might have started
out broken.  If so, an incremental update wouldn't correct
it.

-- Terry