Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:23:50 +1030
From:      Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding si_fd to struct __siginfo ...

Hi,

One of my tasks is to add oplock support to FreeBSD so that we (Panasas)
can allow correct caching of files by Windows clients in the presence of
NFS clients using the same files.

We have a preliminary implementation, based on the Linux implementation,
but it is a gross hack because there is no way for the kernel, when it
delivers a signal, to indicate the fd that caused delivery of the signal.

Linux and Solaris have an fd field in struct siginfo_t which allows the
kernel to indicate, for signals relating to files, to indicate which fd
the signal relates to.

I notice that in FreeBSD struct siginfo_t seems to have int
__spare__[7]; and would like to use one of those spare fields as si_fd.

While I can do that in our code base, if I want to contribute the OpLock
code it would be useful if the FreeBSD community finds this change
agreeable.

Are there any counter suggestions or any big objections?

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba