Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:57:53 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

Nate Williams wrote:
> > Remember that this is only true if someone is stupid enough to
> > use the FPU, which is only useful for very specific tasks, most
> > of which are non-threaded.
>
> Huh?  Methinks Terry needs to make assume the world is just a *teeny*
> bit larger than his narrow-view.

There are several real reasons for threading, and a lot of bogus
ones.  The primary reason given these days is SMP scalability,
even though I don't see anyone carrying this to its logical
conclusion by interleaving seperate thread instructions to the
Pentium 4 processors, which reall do perform better than the
Pentium 3's, but only if you do that.

Most people use threads as a crutch, because they are incapable
of building a proper finite state automaton, or to let people
who can only think linearly still contribute usefully to a
project's code base.

I personally have done a lot of FPU-requiring code, over my own
checkered past (8-)), but I have to say that the vast majority
of the code out there isn't FPU-requiring.

> Even simple statistics use FP math.  You're implying that FPU should
> only be used by folks who have a real *NEED* for it, which is humerous
> considering you're the one who usually bangs on the drum to make FreeBSD
> useful for more folks. :)

I think I lost that battle when it was decided that FreeBSD
straight off a CDROM distribution will no longer run on the
386, which was an inevitability as soon as we started needing
to "harvet entropy" just to boot.

I'm not saying that the FPU shouldn't be used by people who
have need of it (e.g. people unable to download integer SIN
and COS tables, for example... 8-)), but I *am* saying that
if there is no way around a kernel entry for a threads context
switch because of the frigging FPU context, then only the
programs actually using the FPU should pay that penalty.

Realize that I believe that most programs, going forward, will
*not* be threaded, if their programmers know what they are
doing, sinc ethere are usually better ways of solving any
probably that can be solved that way, save SMP scalability
(and I'm not entirely convinced there, either, based on the
common locality of reference arguments, that they wouldn't be
better off running two seperate instances, rather than one
instance with two threads).

-- Terry