Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:37:01 -0600
From:      Kirk Wythers <kwythers@forestry.umn.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help a newbie with pkg_add

I've been at the pkg_add thing for some time now, and I'm read to admit
I need some advice. I have a newly installed 4.5 system (with the ports
collection). I want to add xemacs, evolution and openoffice. I have
tried:

/stand/sysintsall   no good since these packages don't seem to be on my
cd's

pkg_add -r evolution-1.0.1
pkg_add -r xemacs-21.1.14
pkg_add -r openoffice-6.0.a638

in each of these cases pkg_add starts looking for sever and never finds
one with the packages it it looking for.

I have also tried "make" in /user/ports/"package name"

Can anyone help figure out the most straightforeward way to get these
programs installed on my system? Should I go ahead and download source
and build each myself (seems like a waste of time since others have
already done it).

Any advice would be most appreciated...

Kirk