Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:06:13 -0400
From:      PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com>
To:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Optimizing performance with SLOG/L2ARC

On Aug 19, 2015, at 11:46, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:29:44AM -0400, PK1048 wrote:
>> Someone commented on the size of the ZIL/SLOG=85 it needs to hold all =
of the write data that arrives between TXG commits, which happen at =
least every 5 seconds (it used to be 30 seconds, but that scared too =
many people :-). SU a sync write arrives and it _must_ be committed to =
permanent storage, so ZFS writes it to the ZFS Intent Log (ZIL) which =
may or may not be a separate device (vdev). When the TXG that contains =
that data is committed to the pool itself the data can be flushed from =
the ZIL. If your source of sync writes is network shares, and you have a =
1 Gbps link, then your maximum ZIL will be 5 seconds x 1 Gbps or 5 =
Gigabits.
>=20
> That was me. By your figures 5 Gigabits is small compared to the size =
of
> SSD these days. If the SLOG ends up being that important to =
performance
> then it may make sense to buy small, excellent quality SSD.

Exactly, unless your sync write data is coming from a _local_ =
application or you have multiple 10 G ethernet connections :-)

When I asked about SSD recommendations and sizing over on the OpenZFS =
list, the consensus was that a 32 GB log device was probably big enough =
for any rational load. I ordered 200 GB 3710=92s =85 sometimes =
performance also scales with capacity, so be careful buying the smallest =
SSD that fits the strict size needs. I will partition them and use some =
for LOG and some for L2ARC (if I need it). I know this is not =
recommended, but if it works, why not (and I do understand the =
limitations of such a configuration). I only have 24 GB RAM in this box =
and can probably benefit from some L2ARC.

> I believe they even make PCIe battery-backed up RAM for this use. I =
have
> no idea about the price, though. Probably a lot. But maybe "a lot" =
isn't
> much depending on the value of the service provided by the machine.

I have seen the RAM based battery-backed-up drives, and some are not =
even ludicrous in terms of price, but I did not see any with FreeBSD =
driver support. Since they are generally PCIe based (for speed), drives =
are needed.