Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:26:02 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

Kenneth Culver wrote:
> Why are you being so sarcastic? Everyone here is assuming that it's harder
> to write C++ code, so you should only use it if necessary. It isn't
> necessary to use it for something like a daemon.

Because that underlying assumption is false, and I'm making
fun of it.

If you don't use C++ specific features, you're just writing
C code anyway.

It's not harder to write C++ code that uses the special features
of the language; it may be harder for a programmer unfamiliar
with the language, but it's not harder for everyone.  It's harder
for me to write code in languages with which I'm unfamiliar.  Big
deal.  That's a problem with my familiarity, not with the language.

There are a lot of benefits to the use of C++ that outweigh
the downside, particularly if you are a company paying for
something, and you want to invest the value in the code base
instead of investing it in people who can walk out the door
and sign with your competition tomorrow.

Again... big deal.  If it was something you'd do anyway,
then they wouldn't be paying you to get you to do it.

-- Terry