Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:28:04 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1 Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1obj Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus Makefile

David O'Brien wrote:

>>However, in the special case of the large first passes of
>>cc, we (people who set NOSHARED here previously) think that clobbering
>>earlier settings is right, because the space savings are small and the
>>time savings are large for using NOSHARED unconditionally.
>

> My reason for a static cc/cpp0/cc1 has nothing to do with speed, but
> rather to allow one to recover from a bad libc.so or ld-elf.so.1.

Even if I got hit by a broken ld-elf.so.1 yesterday I think your intend
is questionable. A committer should be able to recover either by
compiling it on another machine/OS(-version), or by getting a working
version of the file(s) from a snapshot. A non committer should at least
be able to get the file(s) from a snapshot or to ask someone how to
resolve the issue (this is -current).

So this is a bikeshed issue, and if there are no technical issues (I
haven't fully looked into the files BDE refers to in the reply to your
message) or they can get solved, David (the maintainer) should IMHO be
the one who makes the decission (even if I think it's much easier to
just copy a working version from somewhere else).

Bye,
Alexander.