Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:48:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quotactl issues

"Michael R. Wayne" wrote:
> No replies on this.  Nobody has any ideas?

Nobody has seen it until now.

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:33:21PM -0400, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
> > Ported some code that uses quotactl to 4.3 p19 and it fails with EINVAL
> > when trying to:
> >    quotactl("var/mail", QCMD(Q_GETQUOTA, USRQUOTA), VALID_UID, &blk)
> > Looked at the source for edquota on 4.5 RELEASE (what I had handy),
> > and ran a copy of it through gdb, it fails with the same error,
> > then it goes in and reads/writes the quota files directly!
> >
> > So, is quotactl just not supported or do the filesystems need to
> > be converted or what?

1)	Path should be absolute

2)	Path *must* refer to a mount point; you look like you are
	treating quotas as if they are more granular than they are.
	Quotas are on a per FS basis *only*.

3)	Setting a manifest "VALID_UID" doesn't make it valid, just
	because you name it that.  8-).

4)	"[EINVAL] Cmd or the command type is invalid."

5)	Are you sure that quotas are enables on this FS already?

6)	Are you sure blk is a struct dqblk?

7)	Quota UID and GID ranges are more limited than FreeBSD
	otherwise limits UID/GID ranges.  Make sure that "VALID_UID"
	isn't larger than 65535 or smaller than 0.

-- Terry