Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:34:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Idea: New file called CONTRIB

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:

> OK.  There are a number of programs in the tree that people outside of
> the project are trying to keep in sync.  They typically are on
> src/contrib or src/sys/contrib.  However, there are a few that are in
> the main tree, especially KAME related network config stuff (and
> others).  I'm thinking that if there's someone that wants to be
> notified/consulted on the changes so as to better sync an external
> repository, then maybe having a file called CONTRIB in these
> directories might not be a bad idea.
>
> Note: This isn't a maintainer, per se, but rather an indication that
> the code (eg, .c and .h files) shouldn't be committed to w/o some
> thought.

This sounds like a back door out of the MAINTAINER controversy. :) We
already have the notion of, "I'd like to know if you plan to make
changes to this file" in the current /usr/src/MAINTAINERS, so rather
than further muddy the water I'd like to give that a few more months to
see if it works.

One of the problems of this medium is that people think because we have
(relatively) instant communication, we should have instant solutions to
problems as well. That's hardly ever true, especially where humans are
concerned.

Doug