Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:56:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com
Cc:        DougB@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp and mail much slower into fbsd 4.4 vs and old BSDi

D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > You can turn off newreno with the sysctl. I put this in /etc/sysctl.conf
> > on my machines:
> >
> > net.inet.tcp.newreno=0
>
> Could you explain what newreno is, in a nutshell, the upshots of using it,
> and what the ramifications of turning it off are?
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p7, and it's on by default.

If you turn it off, you rat all your firends out in the Prisoner's
Dilemma.

Congestion control protocols only work if everyone participates.

   All "Reno TCP" implementations include TCP Fast Retransmit and Fast
   Recovery algorithms [RFC2581].  Fast retransmit relies on three
   duplicate acknowledgements to trigger the retransmission of a single
   lost segment.  Once the Fast Retransmit has occurred, TCP then waits
   for enough additional duplicate ACKs to arrive, indicating that half
   of the data in flight has left the network.  Only when this has
   occurred will TCP send additional new data.

   The consequence of this delay is that the entire new window of data
   is transmitted in one half of one Round Trip Time (RTT). This burst
   can cause repeated bursts in successive RTTs following the recovery,
   which can result in overall additional burstiness on the network.

   Hoe [Hoe95] suggested that during Fast Recovery the TCP data sender
   space out retransmissions and new data on alternate acknowledgements
   across the entire recovery RTT.  (Note that this eliminates the half
   RTT lull in sending which occurs in Reno TCP.)

...THat's the PSC "nutshell" description of NewReno.

-- Terry