Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:01:02 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq-CC, the next steps....

Jan Lentfer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> assuming Terry's patch will be integrated into bsd.port.mk soon, what
> will be the next steps to push this further?
> If I found a port and tested it and it works with ccc, what to do?
> Contact the port maintainer and ask him to add "PREFER_COMPAQ_CC=yes" to
> the Makefile?

Assuming it's committed, yes, this should be all that's necessary.

Since it won't effect the port for non-Alpha, and won't effect it
for Alpha, if the Compaq C compiler is not installed, this is the
lowest possible impact method.

Basically, your original call for a list becomes a call for adding
the flag to individual ports.

If you wanted to build everything, one at a time, to see what could
be built, then all you'd have to do is set it in /etc/make.conf.  8-).

-- Terry