Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:23:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        jf@trispen.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote crashdump

Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Terry Lambert writes:
>  > The closest anyone has come to this (to my knowledge) is
>  > the creation of a polled network driver and a tiny UDP
>  > stack to permit remote debugging over the network to a
>  > different machine on the same switch.  This isn't very
>  > close to dumping.
>
> I think Darrell's netdump has been discussed before.
> (http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/freebsd/netdump/)
>
> It does exactly what the poster wants, but needs to be cleaned up and
> brought up to date.

The poster wanted tftp.  Netdump requires a UDP server that
obeys its own private retransmit protocol.

See also the "readme", where it states:

	Known bugs

	For some types of crashes, the client will not receive
	interrupts for incoming packets (including the netdump
	acks). Netdump polls fxp and de interfaces, other
	interface types may not always work.

While I have to admit that it's closer to an answer than I thought
there was code for, it will still require almost as much work as I
had said to get the rest of the way.

-- Terry