Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 00:35:29 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        matt@peterson.org, imp@bsdimp.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fixed - was Re: Linksys WMP 11 (Prism2.5) + hostap = no good?

I decided to throw caution to the wind.

I downloaded the 1.4.9 firmware file from netgate and the WMP11 firmware
upgrade zip from Linksys. Unfortunately, the upgrader has the firmware
filename hard-coded. So I wrote a quick program in C to change all
occurances of the filename from 10402 to 10409. Then I put the resulting
stuff on a floppy and trudged the card over to my wife's Windows
machine(*). I set up the driver for the card, ran the upgrader, moved
the card back to the server and now not only does hostAP mode work
properly, but I get the improved signal strength I was hoping for (I am
using RELENG_4 now).

Yay!

Thanks all around!

* I am increasingly irritated by the fact that as time goes on, I become
personally less and less dependent on Microsoft (my Wife runs OpenOffice
now and as soon as I get her to switch to mozilla she'll be able, in
theory, to switch OSes and not miss any software), but wind up still
having to keep a Windows machine in a case marked "In case of emergency
break glass" for doing stupid things like firmware upgrades for
peripherals. Grr!