Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:27:00 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jeff@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scheduler patch, ready for commit.

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> I haven't heard any objections to the goals of this patch.  I have cleaned
> it up and readied it for commit.  This step is important so that I can
> stop manually merging in new scheduler changes and get on with the new
> scheduler.  This patch does not change any functionality in the current
> system.  It is only a code reorg.
>
> As always any comments are welcome.  The patch is available at
> http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/sched.patch

THe documentation that you remove in kern_exit.c is not recreated
anywhere.  I think the XXX comments are important expository
information.

I'm somewhat concerned that you go to all this trouble, and then
don't seperate out the statistics data from the proc structure;
this probably means pushing the allocation of the proc structure
into the scheduler code, if it's supposed to be one lump, but it
should be just as easy to allocate it seperately with an encapsulated
allocation that allocated the scheduler part, the proc part, and then
aggregates them, all protected by the proc lock, and then imply that
the proc lock protexts the data (since they will never divorce, even
on deallocation, because the proc structs go to a free list, unless
the memory is freed back to the system).  I rather expected the
statistical data, which is algorithm dependent, to be broken out.

-- Terry