Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:29:41 +0100
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ppp dials out at boot time

Hi,

I've configured ppp as auto dial on demand. My resolv.conf contains the adresses
of my ISP's nameservers. In addition I've an LAN interface (fxp0) with no LAN
behind it.

In rc.conf I've configured the LAN interface as "inet 192.168.1.1 netmask
255.255.255.0", in /etc/hosts I've assigned the hostname "r2d2" to 192.168.1.1.
The hostname is introduced in rc.conf. In /etc/host.conf I implement first
/etc/hosts to look for name<->address resolution, then use bind.

In this configuration, it seems to me, that the LAN interface introduces a dial
out, after the ifconfig during the boot, to resolve the address of the
interface, instead of using the /etc/hosts file. If I comment out the ifconfig
line in rc.conf, it doesn't take place any longer. The same happens if I comment
out the bind line in /etc/host.conf, but then no dns request is solved and
answered any longer.

So, what is the sense of the ifconfig dialing out? What do I made wrong with
that? I think my private network number can not be resolved anywhere, or am I
wrong?

I want to have configured the LAN interface for the case, I get a connection to
LAN sometimes, so that I don't have to reboot.

Thanks for helpful hints,
Thomas