Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:13:58 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc size

Miguel Mendez wrote:
> Why? I'd love to hear some real reasons for this.

I can think of three concerns:

1) Fragility.  Could a naive sysadmin (or a dying
    disk) break /[s]bin?
    What if the ldconfig hints files were hosed?
    Is ld-elf.so truly bulletproof?

2) Security.  Can LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or other mechanisms)
    be used to deliberately subvert any of these programs?
    (especially the handful of suid/sgid programs here)

3) Upgrade breakage.  Will this make upgrades more fragile?
    A broken or incomplete upgrade could damage ld-elf.so
    or introduce version skew between /bin and libc.so.
    (Yes, people do rebuild libc without rebuilding world.)

I am certain these concerns could be addressed,
and a dynamic /bin could be made workable, but
it would require a lot of care.

> christine: {16} uname -srnm
> NetBSD christine.energyhq.tk 1.6J i386
> christine: {17} du -h /bin /sbin /lib
> 999K    /bin
> 1.7M    /sbin
> 2.0M    /lib

That's impressive; FreeBSD's /bin is over 7M by
itself right now.  I would be curious to see
the results from ls -l /bin on your NetBSD system
as well.

> ... a knob in /etc/mk.conf to get the old behaviour,

> how about something like that?

Knobs are dangerous because you have to test
all of the settings.

Tim Kientzle