Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:52:02 -0800
From:      paul beard <pdb2@u.washington.edu>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        James Hicks <ytwok_karate@hotmail.com>
Subject:   [Fwd: freebsd curiosity]

forwarded from questions

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: freebsd curiosity
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:26:10 -0800
From: James Hicks <ytwok_karate@hotmail.com>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

To whom it may concern,
My name is James. I'm a junior college graduate with an A.S.
degree in
Computer Applications. I took a class in UNIX about a year ago.
The os we
used was Mandrake Linux. I've learned to like Red Hat and have
version 8.0
on my home machine. I have been doing a lot of reading in
magazines like
pcmagazine and sought info online using sources like the freebsd
homepage,
zdnet, cnet, etc. I'm hearing alot of your UNIX os. I have a few
questions
about the system. First of all,  is freebsd a real UNIX? By that
I'm asking
whether or not there is real UNIX code in it or is it a clone just
like
linux is? Second, what type of file system does it use? Does it
have a
journaling one like ext3? Do UNIX systems require any kind of
defrag? I was
told by my UNIX instructor that freebsd had hardware recognition
trouble. Is
this true and if so has it been fixed? I have also read that a lot of
sysadmins are nervous of putting mission critical apps on a
enterprise linux
system and prefer to use freebsd. What is the problem that I'm
hearing that
linux has? Do you believe the berkeley system to have code that
has better
stability than the GNU systems? I look forward to your reply. Thanks

James Hicks
ytwok_karate@hotmail.com

Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;
8040 27th Ave NE Seattle WA 98115 / 206 529 8400

A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well
as afterward.