Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:52:36 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   loader(8)

Greetings, ia64 people. In the hopes of providing .4th files to loader
that people (other than me) can actually modify, I have been considering
a regex parser, so we could introduce something like what exists in
perl, sed, awk, etc.

After long consideration, I came to the conclusion that the best way of
providing such a thing would be importing regex into libstand. This
would keep the rather complex regex code in C and avoid introducing a
buggy regex implementation.

Though it would be available at any point in loader, the regex interface
is only done on FICL, so no FICL, no regex.

The biggest drawback, by far, is the size by which it would increase
loader. On i386, it's about 32 Kb. As I had to copy the regex files over
to libstand, it might well be possible to further reduce this size by
removing the more unlikelier options, or trading speed for space.

Now, I'd like to know how the loader space constraints are looking like
in the ia64 architecture, and by how much this patch increase loader's
size.

The patch is at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~dcs/regex.diff

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs@newsguy.com
	dcs@freebsd.org
	capo@notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

There was a young monk of Dundee
Who complained that it hurt him to pee,
	He said, "Pax vobiscum,
	Now why won't the piss come?
I'm afraid I've the c-l-a-p."

with "unsubscribe freebsd-ia64" in the body of the message