Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:10:17 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New getblk parameter.

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > If you are not going to change all the calls to getblk(), it
> > should probably be a wrapper function, or, minimally, an inline
> > and a wrapper function.
> >
> > The reasoning is that it chould be called from precompiled
> > modules, so you want to leave a symbol visible for it, which
> > defining it to getblkf(..., 0) doesn't do.
>
> Precompiled modules are already going to be broken with the new locking
> semantics.  I think requiring them to recompile is OK.  I intend to bump
> the FreeBSD version if this goes in.
>
> I'd sort of like to change all the getblk() calls actually.  If no one
> strongly objects to that I'll do it.

I'd personally prefer that to the getblkf() thing.  If you aren't
making the change for a reason, like not wanting to change the ABI,
that's one thing; but if it's going to trade out symbol space and a
name obfuscation, it's best to just change them all.  By my count,
there's only about 60 of them, and it's a mechanical change that
would take less than a minute with a modified cscope that can do
parameter addition of the zero, or 5 minutes manually.  You should
just "go for it" (assuming RE@ OK's it).

-- Terry