Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:50:15 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is a practical max nujmber of files in a directory

Bill Moran wrote:
[ ... ]
> I'm writing a web-interface to file-sharing.  It's back-ended by a metadata
> database and a filesystem based file store.

Sounds like a pretty classic application for WebDAV.

> The question I need to answer is: how many files can a directory
> contain before the system determines that no more files should be
> placed in it?

When you have more than a few thousand files per directory, that's the
point where many platforms seem to slow down very significantly.

What's the size range and average size of an item?

If you do something a little clever-- perhaps concat'ing small (< 8 K)
items together (keeping track of this with your metadata DB), and only
using seperate files for larger items-- you might be able to finesse the
situation.

--
-Chuck

...with 900 emails to go; take one down, pass it around;
         899 emails to go...